Resources for Future Thru Hiker:
This is a list of resources that I have compiled for anyone who is thinking about or currently planning a thru hike or other long hike! Let me know if there are other awesome resources I should add! And of course, check out the resources on this here blog by going back in time and looking through our archives.
PCTA – The PCTA’s website and everything PCT.
ATC – The ATC’s homepage and everythig AT related.
CDTC – The CDT’s website and all the information you could ever want about the CDT!
- Has all the information you need about every different aspect of thru hiking!
- All sorts of information about hiking, backpacking and trail etiquette.
- Everything vegans need to know about hiking and being vegan at the same time.
- The go to forum for AT thru hikers, also a site where many thru hikers have blogs! You can create new threads with your questions and have them answered or go back and look at old threads.
- Another common place for thru hiker blogs (all different trails).
- One of the most popular AT blogs, and he wrote a book: Appalachian Trials, All Things Appalachian Trail!
- All kinds of good information about long distance hiking and good for shorter backpacking trips as well.
- About backpacking in general.
- There are all sorts of pages about the AT and I’m sure the other trails as well. I am a member of Appalachian Trail which is basically an ongoing forum of facts and advice about everything. Great for someone planning a thru hike who wants a lot of different opinions! I am also a member of a group called Gear Talk which is focused specifically around gear.
- Just google any trail and any thru hike and SO many blogs and websites will pop up
Maps and Guidebooks:
- Halfmile (a thru hiker) has spent many months creating and updating these maps so they are usually considered the most current and accurate ones available for the PCT.
- Guidebook for the PCT and available for digital download.
- Another guidebook option for the PCT.
- The only AT guide worth it in my opinion. Do not buy the maps, the guide book is enough by itself.
Appalchian Trail Thru-hikers Companion by Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association
- Sometimes used as a guide but not commonly, not a bad book to buy and leaf through before hand.
How to Hike the AT: The Nitty Gritty Details of Long Distance Hiking by Michelle Ray
- What I read before thru hiking the AT, great book.
The Pacific Crest Trail: A Hiker’s Companion by Karen Berger and Daniel R. Smith
Novels about thru hiking:
Wild by Cheryl Strayed
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
Appalachian Trials: All Things Appalachian Trail by Zach Davis
A Thru-Hiker’s Heart by “No Way” Ray Echols
Long Distance Hiking: Lessons From the Appalachian Trail by Roland Mueser
Tangled Roots: The Appalachian Trail and American Environemtnal Politics by Sarah Mittlefehldt
Becoming Odyssea: Epic Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Phar Davis
On the Beaten Path: An Appalachian Pilgrimage by Robert Aldin Ruben
Stumbling Thru: Hike Your own Hike by A. Digger Stolz
Hiking Through: Finding Peace and Freedom on the Appalachian Trail by Paul V. Stutzman
A Blistered Kind of Love: One Couples Trial by Trail by Angela Ballard
AWOL on the AT by David Miller
Barefoot Sisters Southbound by Lucy Letcher and Susan Letcher
Websites about food preparation and dehydration:
Websites where you can buy backpacking meals:
- Many of these prepackaged freeze dried or dehydrated meals are also available through your Costco or REI.
First aid information:
- WMI and WMA are the preferred organizations to get your WFR through.
Helpful Gear Websites and Great Companies:
- Great gear review website that has side by side comparisons of all types of different gear and clothing.
- Smaller cottage company who has a great blog and a whole section of their website that is devoted to “how to go lighter”.
- Probably my favorite cottage company that makes some of the lightest weight gear on the market.
- A specific entry on Blackwoodspress that directs you to some of the best cottage companies out there.
- Great for those looking for really light stove options.
- Another cottage company not listed on the above Blackwoodspress directory.
- A great article in Backpacker about smaller and lesser known gear companies.
- Good article about lightening your pack weight.
- More articles about losing weight out of your pack!